Wednesday, November 12, 2008

There are many more "firsts" out there for us!

by Tyler Cann

Cross country has meant so much more to me than just a sport, or something to do after school everyday. It has provided me with my best friends and the best memories of my life, and has taught me many things about myself. And to have it come to an end as quickly as it has is a very sad thought.

If it wasn't for cross country I would never have made the lasting friendships and memories I now possess and will never forget. Not only has it been fun and exciting to watch my teammates, my friends, and myself accomplish things we never thought possible, but when you as a runner cross that line, run through the chute, or finally conquer that menacing hill, you are overwhelmed with a sense of pride and self-fulfillment that you don't feel everyday.

Yes, I am sad that my career as an Edwardsville cross-country runner has come to an end so quickly for me and many other seniors, but I will continue to make the best of what we have left. And I want to thank everyone who has been there for me and the whole team over the past seven years that I have been running. Thank you so much to everyone who has given their time to the sport and to the team. I'm sure I speak for all of us when saying, it means sooo much to all of us! And lastly, I would like to thank Coach P and Rox for always being there for me and everyone when we needed them most. It may have been at the toughest part of the course where you just wanted to give up, and suddenly you hear this "crazy" woman screaming at the top of her lungs for you to run faster, or coming around a turn, looking like and feeling like your gonna die and getting that, oh-so-familiar, "Tyler! Look at me!" line from Coach P. And I just want to thank them for that again! Because not only were they there as coaches and supporters for all of us, but they were there for me and all of us when it mattered most! Thank you guys soo much!

And most of all I want to thank my family for being there for almost every meet, no matter where it was at, and for spending hundreds of dollars on countless pairs of Mizunos and spikes! Thank you! And to my little brother, who wasn't always at the meets, but wanted to be no matter what! Thank you guys so very much!

As Coach Anderson told me, referring to the state meet and the ending of my cross country career, "this may be the beginning of your many 'lasts,' but remember, there are many more 'firsts' out there for you!" And that goes for all of the seniors whose time as an Edwardsville Tiger cross-country runner has come to an end!

No comments: