Friday, November 14, 2008

Having the heart to go after a goal

By Eli Sweatt
Class of '09

Six years have passed since my arrival here and as it would seem my time is almost at an end. While things have changed and people have grown up, I know if given a chance I wouldn’t change a thing. Running is more than just a sport I partake in, but rather a lifestyle, a drug, and a place for me to just be me.

I still remember my first day when I could not even keep up for four miles with coach Chapman and the other four girls that showed up for summer practice that day. While embarrassing, it was the start of my involvement with a sport that would help change my life forever.

I would not understand the effects of it until my freshman year of high school. It was that year that I got to know someone who would become one of my heroes, my idea of success. I was socially awkward and not very fast but when Double D [Dustin Davis] received his all-state medal, I was determined to become as successful as him, if not more. Within that same year I had one of my favorite moments in running where I broke 5 minutes in the mile. On my final shot my freshman year in horrible conditions, as a 4th-ranked JV scrub, I ran a 4:56 and dropped exhausted into the arms of who else but Willie, my older brother, and Double D.

There are more people to thank than just Willie and Double D, although these were somewhat my mentors; I compared everything I did to these two and Jo Jo [Eric Johannigmeier]. Even in my own moments of doubt I know I can come to them for help and support. Another person who deserves a lot of gratitude would be Devon. I thank you for just always getting me. We may be as different as salt and pepper, but you always seemed to understand. Although running never seemed to go exactly our way these past four years, I feel honored that I helped finally get you that all-state medal in track that you have deserved since day one. While we may race against each other in college, I promise to give it my all, just like I have every time we have raced against each other these last couple of years.

I also need to thank all the parents and my other team members. The support of you guys is more important to me than you may realize. To Coach P, that stubborn, out of shape man that barks at us like some dog, forcing us to work for every little compliment that he gives, while dealing with his bad taste in jokes. The man who has made me realize that it isn’t a matter of being the fastest, strongest, or smartest, but believing in yourself and being happy about who you are. That also goes for Rox [Roxanne Patrylak] who even during my weak moments of non belief would be there dragging her kids along telling me that she believes in me and so I should do the same. Finally, my parents, from dealing with the costs that come along the way to respecting my boundaries.

From running I thought that getting all-state would change my life and make me something that I wanted to be. While I did not get all-state in cross, I did get a great group of friends, lots of people that care about me, and my life back. I truly feel that I owe my life to running. Because of it, I still stand here today, and have found the courage to believe that I should be happy with myself, too. While there are still some more of my dragons or demons to be slain, I have found it much easier to do it with a group of people supporting and helping me, than by myself. Jo Jo and I are proof out there that it isn’t natural ability that makes a great runner, but having the heart to go after a goal. It is not the destination but the journey to get there that creates who you are.

Sincerely,

Eli Sweatt


P.S.: While I will be leaving off to college, I just want all the scrubs to know that I’m here for anyone. Just call and I will be there, no matter what. That has just always been my way. I have been a part of a lot of ends, but this cross season was not one of them. This year was a beginning.

No comments: