Sunday, November 16, 2008

Ode to Coach

By Ryan Cullen
Class of '09
Unlike my other friends and peers on the cross country team, I have chosen a different way to express my feelings towards the sport, my friends, and coach. This was originally intended to be a video presentation, but was stopped by forces beyond our control. I hope this "speech" still conveys the same meaning in writing as it did in words.

Ode to Coach

As I reflect upon my years at the mighty EHS
I must sincerely state the truth, XC was the best

What made it best from all the sports and made the others lame
Coach George Patrylak is who I’d thank and should accept the fame.

I’d like to reflect on my last four years and stroll down memory lane
Sprint and not stroll down XC paths where faultlets inflicted pain.

My freshman year I arrived to practice shy and introverted
Soda runs and explosive puking, is this team truly perverted?

Summer runs, the distance, the heat, but what great host runs we had.
Oh Mom, did I ever say thanks for the 800 Toasted Ravs?

Mud Mountain, now that will always stay very close to my heart.
Varsity and pr goals that’s where they all did start.

My parents' yells at the hill of mile 1, well they fell on my deaf ears
But Mrs. Coach at mile 2, now that’s a voice I always fear.

The varsity jersey, although quite cute, was never on my back
Despite the miles, long runs and sweat, a 15 min PR I lacked

Perhaps my work ethics during winter runs could have been much better
Runs in the woods and snow ball fights may have hindered my varsity letter.

A stupid act, a toy grenade, as innocent as it may seem
My lack of thought, ignoring my parent’s pleas, suspension code of conduct it did seem rather mean

However, who should rally for my cause? My friends, my cross-country team
“Free Ryan” was the cry, and that support lifted the nightmarish dream

Jr and Sr year running open races I truly did not mind
The most important part of XC for me was the great friends I did find.

Running was great, but as a group we had other goals in sight
Oh no, not college, or GPA’s, but the impressive XC “Fight Night”

Parents cringed, girls screamed while watching the future Rockys
A bloody nose, a few blows to the head made our egos even more cocky

I could drone on in rhyming form about all the good times we had
But our greatest stories are better left unsaid or our families may get mad!

These memories, great times and friendships shared were inspired by one fact
Our great role model, friend and mentor, of course Coach Patrylak

How do you thank a man who’s had such a great life influence on me?
Thank You may fall short to express my gratitude to thee

Your countless hours spent with our team has truly shaped our lives
This is a sacrifice we know, for it’s time you missed with your family and wife

So now I leave the XC team and my future is unclear
I’ll pass the torch to “Lil Cullen” his work ethic I do not fear

We grew, we learned, we even matured on the track of EHS
But the bonds, the friends and Coach Patrylak are the memories I love the best!

No comments: