Monday, November 10, 2008

The starting line of the rest of our lives

by Abbey Frese
Class of '09

(Editor's note: This is the first in a series of reflections from seniors looking back on their cross-country careers)

Like Coach Chapman told me on the last race of my season: “something has to end for a new beginning to start.” However it is just crazy to think my cross country seasons are done. When I was a freshman I thought the upper classmen had everything figured out. Yet I stand here today with a little more than a semester left of my high school career and I am more confused than when I began.
I would like to start out by thanking all the people who have helped me over the years: the Speichers, Smiths, Coach P., Roxie, Kierra and Gordan, The Parks and Cullens for their wonderful hospitality, Dalla Rivas, Mrs. Bertles for her amazing cookies, the Atwoods, the Hodges and of course my family. Thank you mom and dad for attending all my races and providing me with an endless supply of shoes, supplies and the support I needed.

The past seven years have been insane! And to think I started and my cross country career with one coach and ended with him as well. In middle school Mr. Chapman was such a caring and devoted coach, I just did not realize it until high school. The second he stepped in the whole atmosphere of our team changed. We worked hard so we would not let ourselves and teammates down. He made every practice a joy instead of a burden. Some of my favorite memories of coach are his impersonations of Pewee Herman, and him sprinting to beat Madi Pranger in a 100! He made us laugh so hard and I could not have asked for a better coach.

The intensity is what drew me to the sport and is one of the things I will miss the most. I will also miss the pre race bus rides, the mental preparing, the drills, spiking up and the get set before the go. I will miss Coach Chapman’s speeches right before we take off and the occasional cheesy joke. I will miss having all my closest friends cheering me on and hugs after every race. I will miss pinning that number on my jersey and calling myself an Edwardsville cross-country runner.

To the under classmen and future captains of the team, I can only say enjoy every race, bus ride and team dinner because they will be over before you know it. To my best friends Courtney, Kristin and Diane I could not have asked for a better three. I have learned that the friends that give you the most trouble are the ones that help you learn about yourself the most. We take care of each other and nothing tops that. You guys have been my best friend for seven years, and we know every thought, like and dislike by the look on each other’s faces. We never even have to say anything we just get it.

To all the guys I have to say you are what kept it interesting. Coach P. and you guys have the greatest relationship. I’ll never forget playing football in the pouring rain, the snow ball fights or the endless car T- ping wars! Finally, your break out year! You guys made it to state and placed 7th! I am so happy for all of you! What an amazing season for and amazing group of guys! Congratulations to you all!

I am not sure what I want to do in the future but I know who I want to be and I have been blessed with an amazingly supportive group of family and friends that have given me the tools and morals to succeed. I am leaving behind some of my fondest memories and a team of girls that I adore. How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard. I guess in some ways more than none, the senior class is not face to face with the starting line of a race, but more the starting line of the rest of our lives.

Thank you everyone!

No comments: