Thursday, November 13, 2008

Forever grateful to you

by George Patrylak
EHS Cross Country Coach

With the end of the 2008 cross-country season comes another end in my coaching career. No, I’m not going to hang up the clip board, but something else has happened. In 2004 I had to make a decision. I was very happy with my teaching and coaching opportunities at Lincoln, but I always told myself that if I had another opportunity to work with my first group of boys I would seize that opportunity. When the opportunity presented itself at the beginning of 2004, I became scared about what to do. Not scared as in my ability, but scared because I knew both Lincoln and EHS had great athletes and I did not want either team to suffer due to the selection of coaches. It was a difficult decision for me to make, but I made it. This decision was made not only due to the athletes involved, but to fulfill my dream of following after Al Logsdon, my high school coach. I felt I had more to give at the high school level and wanted to give it my best shot. I also knew that Edwardsville is the place that I hope I will spend my entire career, so I had to leap when the opportunity came. The decision has worked, as Lincoln has a tremendous coach in Coach Rogers. I can not ask for a better coach to develop the middle school teams and help mold them into the fine young men and women they are to become. Coach Rogers, thank you for being such as great coach!

My appointment at EHS was met with mixed emotions. Those athletes that knew me from the past embraced me, but some athletes did not take kindly to a new regime. I know it was not personal, but those of you who will continue competing in college will always look back and compare your current training and mentoring to what you received in high school. I think I learned more in that first year of coaching at EHS than at any point of my career. Through trial and error I learned of the importance of treating everyone with respect, and learned to focus on each member of the team as a person first and an athlete second. For those in the past who felt differently, I am sorry.

Now it is 2008 and I just finished my fifth season as the head cross-country coach at EHS. This is a very special group to me, not because the team finished 7th at state, but this is the last group of men that I have any connections with from my middle school years. With that being said, I am glad I made the switch. I was able to sit back and watch you grow from a distance and then was blessed with four more years of coaching you.

For some of you, it seemed that I lost you once before. It was difficult when Lincoln and Liberty split, because we had no control over which school you attended. I know that several athletes that I held dear were taken from my team, but got to run for a phenomenal coach, coach Chapman. Now, as I start to think of you graduating, I am not scared at all. There are several reasons why. You have all grown into outstanding young men. People whom I admire and who parents are proud of. You will be successful adults in the future, this I am sure of. I also know that I will continue to see you throughout the years. The thing that makes me know that I have made a difference in your lives is the number of athletes that come back and visit the team at meets, send me text messages and emails at different times, and invite me to dinner when the team is all in town for break. Remember how much it means to you to see Cole, Brad, Bryan,
Dustin, Gil, JoJo, Willie, Charlie, Jarrod, Jake, Riley, and countless others come to practice or yelling for you at races. I’m sure you will continue to do the same for the younger guys on the team.

I remember thinking when I was in high school that some day I wish I could become a teacher and a coach. I also thought that I wish that I could become half the coach that Al Logsdon is. I know that, in my mind, I may never reach that goal. I had someone make the same comment to me this year, as they begin to embark on their own path through college, teaching and coaching. Here is the truth: you guys are already more than half the coach I am. I am the person I am because of the heart, character, determination, passion, friendships, and loyalty you have given to me. Just like there is a part of me that has rubbed off on all of you, you have all impacted me the same. It is your belief in me and my belief and respect in you that makes me the person and coach I am today. So, it is I who is forever grateful to you. Thank you for sharing your cross-country careers with me and best wishes in track and the future.

Coach P.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Coach.